Q: I like reading your articles in the paper. Could you send us a guide on how to perform the Ganesha prayer? Thank you and keep up the great job you have been doing. | RG
A: The best day for new beginnings: One always starts any prayer, ritual or occasion by worshipping Lord Ganesha first. His blessings are also sought before starting any new venture. The traditional annual worship of Lord Ganesha, as the remover of all obstacles, is known as Ganesha Chaturthi (the birthday of Lord Ganesha) and this year we will be celebrating it on September 10. Lord Ganesha was born at midday. Pray between 10.42am and 1.04pm. But if you can’t, then the entire day is very auspicious for worshipping. According to spiritual literature, prayers conducted on this day are equivalent to the entire year. The astro advice is to do the prayer to remove hurdles from your life. Chant 108 malas of Om Shree Ganeshaya Namah, or chant as many as you can. According to Vastu science, every Hindu home and all communities who follow Hinduism anywhere in the world should have a small statue of Lord Ganesha above the entrance of the main door to their house. A special shelf or small stand should be made for this deity above the door. This is the only deity that one can keep above the middle of the outside door frame of the main entrance. In simple words, before you open your front door to enter your house, you should face the Lord Ganesh situated above the door. This will protect you by preventing evil forces and obstacles from entering your home. It will also deflect negative energy and bring prosperity to your home. It also removes the Vastu defects caused by an incorrectly positioned entrance door. It is believed that Lord Ganesha is always accompanied by his two wives, Riddhi (prosperity) and Siddhi (knowledge) so it is good to write Riddhi on the right side of Ganesha and Siddhi on the left.
Points to remember:
- Do not look at the moon on Ganesh Chaturthi as this is considered inauspicious. Sighting the moon on Ganesh Chaturthi creates “Mithya Kalank”, which means false accusation of stealing something.
- Do not keep three Ganeshas in your home, any other number is fine.
- Lord Ganesha should not be kept on the main driveway gate.
- Be sure that Ganesha is not made of broken pieces of wood, leaves, either in idol or in a painting.
- Avoid abstract paintings of Ganesha as they are not recommended as per Vastu.
- Ganesha must be in full figurine and not just the trunk or upper half.
- It’s best to install Ganesha with the trunk to His left (if it’s on the right it requires strict rules and regulations to follow for worshipping).
- It is believed Lord Ganesha was born at midday, so it is best to worship during this time. However, the entire day is auspicious.
Most important points:
- Every Ganesh Chaturthi, after performing your prayer inside your home, you should also conduct a prayer where Lord Ganesha resides above the door.
- It is good to have a Ganesha statue above the door lit up with a small light bulb that can be switched on after sunset every day.
- Lord Ganesh is easily pleased and showers his blessings on those who offer him 21 “Durva” grass.
- If your ruling planet is Mercury or it is very weak in one’s chart then praying to Lord Ganesh helps.
- All the writings alongside Ganesha should be done in red or orange.
- Astrologically, students and professionals, namely doctors, engineers, chartered accountants, lawyers, teachers, consultants etc. must pray to Lord Ganesha everyday by chanting his mantra. It will help them in their knowledge, education and career.
- On Diwali day, it is considered very auspicious to worship Lord Ganesha along with Mother Lakshmi. Astrologically, it will bring good fortune and improve your finances. Place the idols that when you see from your perspective, Lakhsmi ma should be on your left and Lord Ganesha on your right.
- Ganesha Chaturthi is considered one of the most auspicious days of the year on which one can invest in properties, buy houses, start a new business or job, move into a new home, buy a new vehicle.